2019 Novel Coronavirus (Covid-19)
The Doctors and Nurse Practitioners at Preston Ridge Pediatrics are closely monitoring the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak via the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), Georgia Department of Health (DPH), and Children’s Health Care of Atlanta (CHOA). The virus and the protocols around it are changing rapidly, and we are working to mitigate any impact on patient care and services provided. We are keeping up to date on new information and screening protocols.
We ask all patients and family members who meet these criteria: have a fever, symptoms of COVID-19, or have had a known exposure to a person infected with COVID-19 to call the office first to determine if a Telemedicine or in-office appointment is appropriate. Currently, we are not providing Walk-In hours for sick visits.
Many parents are wondering how they can prevent the spread of coronavirus and protect their families. We at PRPA understand your concerns and have complied a list of measures to help stop the spread of Coronavirus.
1. How Can I Protect my Family?
The best way to stop a respiratory infection is to avoid exposure. Here are a few tips to help lower the risk of your family catching a viral illness:
- WASH Hands OFTEN with soap and water for 20 seconds or more. If you do not have soap and water then use an Alcohol based Hand Sanitizer.
- AVOID touching your face especially your Eyes, Nose, & Mouth.
- COVER your Cough or Sneeze with a tissue or use your inner Elbow if no tissues are available. Wash hands or Hand Sanitize after using tissues.
- CLEAN and DISINFECT frequently touched objects and surfaces including but not limited to (Electronic Devices, Door knobs, kitchen and bathroom counters/faucets/knobs, Light switches).
- AVOID close contact with people who are sick & AVOID contact with others when you are sick
(keep kids home from school/ stay out of work if you are running a fever of 100.4F or higher)
2. Should I wear a Mask? — YES
The CDC and AAP strongly recommend people over the age of 2 years wear a facemask to protect themselves from Coronavirus. Facemasks should be worn in community settings where social distancing may be difficult (grocery stores, public transportation, businesses, hospitals, etc..) to prevent the spread of the virus. Masks are mandatory to enter our office. Please bring your own mask to any office appointments as we are unable to give out masks at this time.
3. What are Symptoms of COVID-19?
- Shortness of Breath/ Chest Pain
- Fever (100.4F or higher) & Chills
- Sore throat
- New and sudden loss of Taste or Smell
- Body Aches
4. Where should I get my updated information from?
Updated information for COVID-19 should be obtained from a reputable healthcare site and not the nightly news or facebook/social media. Here are several resources to get up to date & accurate information on COVID-19:
We hope this helps ease some of your concerns and answers some of your questions. We are doing everything we can to keep our patients and staff healthy.
The Preston Ridge Team